Here is a simple and chemical-free air freshener. Put it in the car, a closet, or dresser drawer. It is a great craft for the children to do.
- fabric glue
- yarn or ribbon
- a sturdy hole punch,
- felt in whatever colors you like
- thin cardboard (like from a shoebox)
- scented oil (essential oil or non-alcoholic perfume oil)
- optional decorations: flat buttons, clear drying glue, glitter, beads, sequins, etc.
- Draw a shape (or trace a large cookie cutter) on a piece of cardboard. Larger shapes hang well while smaller shapes do not hang well. Use these links for some shape ideas Shape Book Patterns || Islamic Star Patterns || Public Domain clip art || Discovery School clip art. Reduce or enlarge the pattern before printing.
- Cut out the shape & use it to trace two copies from of felt.
- Glue one felt piece to either side of the cardboard. Add felt decorations
- Place about 2-4 drops of essential oil onto the felt.*
- Poke a hole in the top and thread with string or ribbon long enough to hang from the car mirror.
Hang your completed air freshener in the car, or a closet, the bathroom, kitchen, or place in a dresser drawer.
*Remember that essential oils are strong, so start with a few drops. Keep away from children. Add more oil after the freshener has been hanging for a while. Unless you have experience working with essential oils, stick with using one oil only.
Recommended Scents: If using essential oils, choose something floral (lavendar, jasmine, ylang-ylang), or earthy (sandalwood, frankincense, myrrh, balsam), or minty (tea tree, camphor). You may not want to use food-related scents such as apples or peaches during the day while you’re trying to fast.