Did you know that fruits and vegetables make excellent paints? Well they do! And we found several tutorials online to help you and your little ones make your own paints.
Pastel-Colored Fruit & Vegetable Paints
We love this guide to fruit & veggie paint: it uses powdered sugar! Yum!
Homemade Finger Paint Recipe
This finger paint recipe is made from water, flour, food coloring, and a few other ingredients you’ll find in your kitchen. Easy-peasy!
Homemade Paints and DyesThe Cornell gardening blog has a couple of easy paint recipes. Make the dyes first and use them to make the paint.
Natural Homemade Paints
1 cup of cornstarch
1/2 cup of water
1/3 cup of soap flakes melted with a half cup of boiling water
Natural homemade dyes
- Grate a homemade soap bar until you get a third cup of soap flakes.
- Combine cornstarch, water, and melted soap in a bowl.
- Stir well and let mixture set until thickened.
- Divide into separate bowls and add in natural dyes for color.
- Your paints are now ready for a canvas!
Natural Homemade Dyes
1/2 cup of plant material for desired color (see below)
1 cup of water
- Mix half a cup of plant material with one cup of water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for half an hour, adding additional water as it evaporates.
- Mix colors together for different shades and hues of color.
Colorful natural plant materials
Brown: walnut hulls, paprika
Green: oak bark, crab apple leaves and bark
Orange: yellow onion skins, oats
Purple: purple grapes
Red: cranberries, beets (Note: you can use juice directly from thawed berries or canned beets)
Tan: coffee and tea
Yellow: apple tree bark, white onion skins, turmeric